Low Res Screen Project @ Load of Fun
This is a project page for ideas, notes and research related to a project in conjunction with Load of Fun to create a Low Res display for the roof of the building.
Some initial ideas:
- Create a standard screen (something like 4:3 or 16:9)
- Create a marquee style display which is longer and extends along the edge of the building.
- Create a cylindrical display. This seems the most unique. Also it has the advantage of being visible from all angles.
I did a mock up a couple of variations of the cylindrical display. The dimensions are 16 x 72 pixels and 24 x 72 pixels. You can view the video here. Both of these display could be done for around $3500 if we kept the cost per pixel under $3 and $2 respectively. This of course does not include cost of any structural parts and a computer and other electronics.
- The video looks awesome. The cylinder is much more dynamic than a standard billboard. Perhaps angled sides such that the profile would would be an inverted trapezoid or a section of a cone in 3d space. (see asci sketch).
\ / \ / \ /
- putting each pixel in its own box with a diffuser would give a more continuous feel.
- This piece by Angela Bulloch uses pixel boxes to render a BBC newscast.
- Conrad is local and doing cool stuff.